London,April 7: Prince Harry has warned youngsters against the dangers of selfies during his latest trip to Australia.
The red-headed royal advised a teenage admirer to give up the trend as he spent around 20 minutes shaking hands and chatting to well-wishers who had braved the rain to catch a glimpse of him.
He told the teen: “Seriously, you need to get out of it. I know you’re young, but selfies are bad,” as recorded by Australian television network Nine.
The prince’s grandmother is also reported to have voiced her dismay at the fad, while his uncle the Duke of York has said he finds being filmed on walkabouts “disconcerting”.
The Queen, who famously “photobombed” a selfie taken by an Australian sportswoman at the Commonwealth Games, reportedly made the comments to US ambassador Matthew Barzun.
Speaking last year he said: “She was essentially saying ‘I miss eye contact’.”
However the Price was still in good spirits and was pleased to see a fellow flame-haired fan carrying a sign which read “Redheads RULE!”. Harry said being a redhead “has to be the number one thing one person can ever be”, according to the Ethan Toscan, who carried the banner.
“He said that I was fabulous in making the sign and it’s awesome to be a redhead,” said the 12-year-old, who also earned a high five.
“I’m over the moon – it’s just wow! I got to shake his hand!”
The Prince’s aversion to selfies doesn’t stop him from photobombing. The cheeky chappy gave two thumbs up in the back of a snap of unsuspecting New Zealand rugby sevens coach Sir Gordon Tietjens, Sport Manawatu chief executive Trevor Shailer and Massey University Professor Emeritus Gary Hermansson.